-->
skip to main | skip to sidebar

Tuesday 1 December 2009

The Potshots Always Find You

In the current issue of Ansible, David Langford notes:

The Times Literary Supplement review of Dinah Birch's new edition of The Oxford Companion to English Literature mutters that 'There is palpable overcompensation for the previous neglect of science fiction.' Though Neil Gaiman's short entry is admired, there is sniffiness about the inclusion of 'Stephen Gallagher, author of two series of Doctor Who in the 1980s'; praise for Greg Bear's Blood Music 'feels incongruously partisan.' But overall it's a positive review. (TLS, 28 October)

Even the Bolton Chronicle stopped calling me 'The Man Who Killed K9' more than twenty years ago.

3 comments:

Good Dog said...

If you want cheering up, check out the Network DVD homepage.

Stephen Gallagher said...

So Callan is definitely set. I didn't doubt the information but it's nice to see it confirmed on Network's own website.

I never go scouting for nods or reviews - that's fraught with dangers - but sometimes they seek me out. I had no idea I even got a mention in the book, so I suppose I should just bank that thought and investigate no further in case it leads to a slap.

I suppose I could complain that I'm not just an ex-Doctor Who writer, I'm also a forgotten 90's horror novelist. I've had to come to the US to be treated as a literary author!

Stan said...

Don't feel too bad - you're not forgotten by some people.

Looking at Network's website, they have Brian clemen's Thriller for sale which, if you don't have it, is worth a look for £25 (and I don't say that just because I oversaw the transfers - some of the stories really are very good).