-->
skip to main | skip to sidebar

Sunday 4 April 2010

Saw it/Heard it, Can't Quite Believe it

To put it delicately, what passes for normal in LA can seem a little bizarre when you move it out of context. While I'm away from home I tend to email back the odd observational nugget just to liven up the correspondence. Here are a few examples from last month.

"Coming up next. They're blind and armed with swords - two area high schools plan an unusual athletic event." (KNX 1070 NewsRadio)

"And after the break, we're gonna come back and talk about dressing babies up to look like Hitler." (Chelsea Lately, E!)

In the chiller cabinet in Gelson's - HE BREW - THE CHOSEN BEER. Flavours include Genesis Ale, Jewbilation, and Messiah Bold - "the one you've been waiting for"

And on the shelf in the Rite-Aid Drugstore, Glendale: ANTI MONKEY BUTT POWDER. "Relieve the friction of monkey butt and painful butt rash." The same company also produces Lady Anti Monkey Butt.

And then, of course, there's MIKE DIAMOND, THE SMELL-GOOD PLUMBER.

4 comments:

Gail Renard said...

I hope Rite-Aid was selling the real thing because I'd hate for anyone to get stuck with I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT ANTI MONKEY BUTT POWDER.

Stephen Gallagher said...

In your case, Gail, that would be LADY I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT ANTI MONKEY BUTT POWDER.

Gail Renard said...

Better still DIET LADY I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT ANTI MONKEY BUTT POWDER. To go.

Good Dog said...

"And after the break, we're gonna come back and talk about dressing babies up to look like Hitler."

New born babies are usually said to resemble Winston Churchill so maybe they're just trying to redress the balance.

...what am I doing trying to find some justification for this kind of insanity? Can I blame it on the head cold?