-->
skip to main | skip to sidebar

Wednesday 20 November 2013

City of Culture, 2017

Congratulations to Hull on the winning bid. No doubt there'll be the usual city-what-culture snark but my memories of Hull are all good ones, of deep history and atmospheric landscape and unique creative energy. Down River was my love letter to Humberside and the East Yorkshire coast.

For all those cities in competition, apparently the very act of getting a bid together has been proven to affect cultural life and economy; almost as if the morale of the public had a value.

Imagine that. Hope and happiness mattering. You wouldn't guess it from the way we're being driven, would you?

1 comment:

Roving Eye said...

I really liked your 'Down RIver' novel and its locations. I'm from Hull originally and go back at least a few times each year to visit friends and relatives.

This is my favourite spot down that way:

http://www.martinparkerphotography.co.uk/p137069332

I think it may well have featured in your book?

I have most of your books and a little bit like Hull I think you are greatly under-rated and under valued.

Regards

Martin